Sunday, April 3, 2016

Back Home

Trip Date: June 28, 2008
Do I remember how to get home?
I Need to Travel Like People Need to Breathe
At the end of this trip it had been about a year since I was in the US. The plan, when I left Korea, was to start a new life in the US, the country to which I belong. I would get a real job, buy a car, get a mortgage, and get all the other trappings that come with being a rooted non-wanderer.  I even started applying for jobs before I left Korea. But somewhere in Vietnam I realized that I would not be happy here.
I love traveling and I cannot live anywhere for too long without feeling boxed in. I crave seeing new places, finding new ways to live, and getting immersed into new cultures. I must travel to live, like people need air to breathe.
SMOEs week-long orientation at the Hyundai Center in Seoul, South Korea
While stuck in Mongolia during this trip and searching the internet for ways to leave Ulaanbaatar, I came across a job ad for S.M.O.E., the organization that places native English teachers in the Seoul public schools. I applied for the job and sent in my resume, covering letter, and references; all before entering Russia.
Shortly after that, while in Finland, I got a reply and set a date and time for a phone interview. Luckily for me my mom had an international cell phone on which they could call me, or else I would have had to call them from a payphone somewhere. An S.M.O.E. rep called me while I was waiting for the Eurostar back to London. By the time the call ended I knew I had the job. The next day I was e-mailed an official letter stating that they were offering me a job and a list of things to do to get a visa.
Within months I was packing my bags again to head back out into the world. She never said it, but I think my mom was hoping that I would live in some other country so she could come visit me. She’s already been to Korea. My mom is a traveler too.
Nomads
My family (years before I was born) moving from Panama to Grand Cayman. The little boy is Malcolm.
I love to read. So let me recommend some books about traveling. These are books that I have read, loved, and enjoyed at various stages in my life.




How to get there:
You can enter my country by land, air, or sea. But I think flight would be your transportation method of choice.
I have no clue how to get a visa to the US or who needs one.
Phone:
  • Use 911 for the police, fire department, or to get an ambulance
  • Use 411 for information (This might cost money.)
Website:
Downloads:
Videos:
Books: 
Notes:
  • It’s a big country. You’re going to need a car.

Map:
Click here for Google maps

No comments:

Post a Comment